Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Paying off Credit Cards

I am on a painful quest. Besides my mountain of student loan debt, I (read this as we) have a mountain of credit card debt.  This year, as my husband started talking about retiring, I took a long look at our assets and liabilities, including the amount of credit card debt we have.  I joined a site called www.sparksavings.com. It is free and provides a fair number of tools for budgeting and tracking expenditures. One of the things that I like about it are tools for savings dreams.  That trip to Europe is now a concrete plan with a savings plan attached to it.  On the site as well are calculators that will help determine how long it will take to pay off specific debts. You inut the amount of the debt and the percentage interest as well as the amount you are paying monthly on the debt and it will tell you how long it will take to pay that debt off.  By playing around with the calculators you can determine how much extra to add monthly toward that debt to pay it off within the time frame that you desire.

So, we are on track. I signed up during December which is the worst month to start tracking expenditures, but so far, so good. We are on track with the plan. 

Check it out.

www.sparksavings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment